Monday, February 21, 2011

A New American Friend


Well, last week was busy because I got braver and made my way to some new places. Still visited my mall near the house for my pastries - so far it's the only Italian food I have been eating other than pizza. Went around the area where I live and checked on places to take Gwen when she comes in March. But Sunday was my big day of adventure. Went to church - great sermon and good to be around believers - and of course had my free meal. This time the best was the coconut cake and chocolate cake. Other stuff was good but the desserts were really good. (I guess I can make it until Gwen gets here. I have already ordered a big plate of fried chicken). Anyway, I met another American at church. She is a young girl from Alabama who plays professional basketball here in Sicily. Sidney played for University of Tennessee for Pat Summitt. Well, Maggie and I spent many hours watching those games so we had a connection there. She had a game in Siracusa (?) which is south of Catania and invited me to come. So I got the GPS and made my way there. It was all highway so not the traffic mess that I usually have in town. The basketball game was played in a domed stadium and was it ever wild! The crowd was crazy  - loud and everyone was talking with their hands and yelling at everyone else. They all had whistles and those giant horns so things were noisy. Sidney's team won and I was impressed with the level of play. After the game I even found my way back home - so one new adventure to put on my list. Have our first Junior team game on Saturday, so looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment