Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Driving in Sicily - It's Crazy

One of the last things I did before I left Texas for Catania was to renew my driver's license. I knew that I would have a car and the thought of driving in Europe sounded like a great thing to do. I had read before I left that the drivers in Italy could be considered to be crazy drivers - that red lights and stop signs were just suggestions was one of the things I had kind of prepared for. But nothing prepares you for the driving experience here. To begin with, some of the streets here like in other older cities in Europe are very narrow. Barely room for one car. One thing I did know was that you needed a small car here, which I have. (Just a side story - minivans don't work here. Bronwyn had one when she first went to Austria, and coming down these narrow streets is not fun in a Windstar!) When there is no traffic, it is nice. But once the traffic begins, it is every man for himself. As you can see from the pictures - this was on the way to a meeting in downtown Catania - there are no lanes. Everyone drives wherever they want. Not only are there cars, but you also have to avoid the motorcycles and vespas. Don't stop at a red light or the driver behind you will either honk or run you down. Pedestrians just step right out in front of you so you have to dodge them too. So, I am adjusting and finding my way around pretty well. I have a GPS but sometimes there are no street names and I find myself turning down an alley or into someone's driveway. I guess the good thing is that so far I have always made it back "home"!






No comments:

Post a Comment